5.31.2012

Judge Judy is Bad For the Economy

It has been a  few years now that I have been hearing people complain about the unemployment rate and the fact that it is "literally impossible" to find a job.   I never understood this and here is why....

I have spent the last 5 years working with schizophrenics in a role where my main outcome of success was getting them to the point that they could understand and manage their symptoms enough to gain and maintain competitive employment.   A typical client would come to me with last weeks' Chinese food stuck in his unkempt beard, wearing 3 winter coats over his purple uni-tard in the summer time (none of which had been washed in the 10 years since they got them from Salvation Army).   It was normal for clients to randomly stand up in the middle of working on interviewing skills in order to belt out the most interesting rendition of "You're a Grand Old Flag" you have ever heard.

As far as it being "literally impossible" to find a job... MANY of these severely mentally ill people, with all kinds of abnormal characteristics, were able to find a job.  Not only a job, but one that lead to a sense of purpose and one that they enjoyed going to everyday.  I always judged fully functioning and capable humans that complained they couldn't work when I would see Mr. Crazy Pants getting and keeping a job..... Until now!

I have been unemployed since I moved from NYC to Atlanta. Almost a full 2 months.  I now fully understand what they mean when they say the economy is rough.  There are SO many obstacles to finding and securing a  job.  The following is a small (not by any means complete) list of obstacles I am encountering.

~ Court TV is on for 6 hours a day. Judge Joe Brown, Judge Alex, Judge Judy, People's Court, etc.  The cable company is clearly run by the 1%.  I can not think of a better way to hold the American people down then to put on a constant running stream of quality tv programming.  Everyone knows that very bad things happen when you don't listen to Judge Judy!

~ My back yard looks like a rainforest and that means that I need to spend probably another 4 hours a day designing an Ewok village for my back yard. Right now the design has 4 tree houses and 5 walking bridges between them all.  It would be completely irresponsible of me to not have a decent space for the Ewok invasion on 12/21/12. 
~  My Xbox gave me the "Red Ring of Death", which sounds like a blessing in disguise since I need to be looking for a job and not playing Xbox, but now I have about 50 games that need to be re-saved to the new hard drive.  This takes up the rest of the day.
~ Vodka- 'nuff said.

I am starting to learn that it might, in fact, be LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to find a job. 




1 Comment(s):

Boz said...

I really don't have a blog anymore, but my cat does.
http://mynameisboothecat.blogspot.com/