6.28.2010

Grab my WHAT and double click?!?!?

My job includes working with people with disabilities to help them learn a higher, more independent, level of functioning. This can mean anything from helping them go to work, helping them not punch each other interact appropriately with others, how to shower daily, how to cook without burning the house down or even teaching them to keep it in their pants them why masturbating is a "when you are by yourself" kind of thing and not a "I am bored in the middle of group" kind of thing.

Last week I was talking to an Autistic client who expressed interest in going to the Pride Parade. I check in with him this morning....

Me: Did you go to Pride?
Him: I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED!!!!
Me: What happened?
Him: I was told there would be naked people and there were no naked people, there were partially naked people but I wanted to see fully naked people. Why was I told there would be naked people and then there were no naked people? I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED!

Something tells me as I plan out his treatment, I need to consider getting him some computer training, because anyone that is waiting once a year to see naked people is in dire need of learning how to use the Internet.

0 Comment(s):